Bowen Bros store first to have escalators, automatic doors, and air conditioning
The Augusta Press encourages and welcomes reader comments; however, we request this be done in a respectful manner, and we retain the discretion to determine which comments violate our comment policy. We also reserve the right to hide, remove and/or not allow your comments to be posted.
The types of comments not allowed on our site include:
- Threats of harm or violence
- Profanity, obscenity, or vulgarity, including images of or links to such material
- Racist comments
- Victim shaming and/or blaming
- Name calling and/or personal attacks;
- Comments whose main purpose are to sell a product or promote commercial websites or services;
- Comments that infringe on copyrights;
- Spam comments, such as the same comment posted repeatedly on a profile.
Wife and I bought our first baby furniture there from
Mr. Weinberger when he was salesman.
What a great story and what a great store Bowen Bros. was…wish we still had it and JB White’s. The escalator was the “cat’s meow” I loved it!! Thanks for this article.
Growing up in downtown Augusta, every weekend I would walk to Broad Street to look in my two favorite stores, Augusta Radio Co. to look at the Zeneth Trans Oceanic Radio, that thing was the size of a small suitcase. Then I would go to Bowen Bros. in the basement to look at the model cars, trains, and planes. Even though I could never afford anything it was still fun.